Saturday, September 5, 2009

Can hummus become a gameday tradition?

Who says that men can't cook unless it is on the grill. Today I made one of my most favorite dips, hummus. Last week I checked a recipe online for the ingredients of hummus and I swear it told me NAVY BEANS. So that is what I purchased, but upon looking for the recipe again I discovered that nobody uses Navy, they all use chickpeas or Gorgonzola beans. So I mad do with what I had and got to cookin'. I roasted some fresh red peppers in some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and then made hummus with lemon juice, basil, garlic. Soon I discovered that either we don't have a food processor or blender or I don't have any clue where we keep them. So Lily had the stroke of genius...why don't we use the mixer? (BTW I'm not kidding she pulled everything out of the drawer until only the mixer was left and then just looked back and forth from me to the mixer and back again til I got the hint.) So now we have applied the mixer to the navy beans and all the other good stuff plus one secret ingredient. I have to say...I can make some mean hummus. This should be a staple dip on gameday, right next to the Velveeta/chili

THE END

5 comments:

aunt Betty said...

I am totally impressed!! You and your cousin should cook dinner for your wives one night. Joseph is a very good cook and has mastered sauces!

Aunt Betty said...

found this through google

Traditional hummus is made with garbanzo beans, but I like navy beans for the milder flavor and lighter texture – it’s especially good as a base for variations.

1 can (15 oz) navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 heaping tbsp tahini
1 clove of garlic, peeled (or 2 cloves if you like garlic – which I do)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt to taste
paprika or cayenne if you want some spice

Put all the ingredients into the largest container of the Magic Bullet (or into the bowl of your food processor or your blender) and pulse until you get a thick, creamy dip. If you need to, you can drizzle in a little olive oil and up to 1/4 cup of water in order to thin out the mixture. If you cook your own beans rather than using canned, reserve a little of the liquid from cooking to use for thinning your hummus.

Variations: Toss in a couple of sun dried tomatoes, a few marinaded artichoke hearts, or any other veg or spice you want to spice things up. Hummus is great on it’s own, or it makes a great base for other strong flavors

Anonymous said...

Charles, what a beautiful dish! You are such a good cook! Wish we were there to share it with you. Asheville is just beautiful. Love to Lily Rose! Mama

Family Snodgrass said...

Yum! I love hummus! You'll have to make this when I come home in a few weeks...pretty please. :)

Aunt Cacky said...

I'm very impressed; call me when you make this for Elizabeth!!!!! I'll bring the beer!